South Africa’s confirmed Covid-19 cases have risen to 4 793.
Meanwhile, COVID-19 death toll now stand at 90, whilst recoveries are 1 473 says Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize.
The three latest fatalities are a 54-year-old KwaZulu-Natal man with underlying diabetes who presented with respiratory distress, a 79-year-old chronically ill Western Cape man who presented with shortness of breath and chest pain and a 58-year-old HIV+ Western Cape man who presented with cardiovascular arrest.
The Minister said a total of 178 470 Covid-19 have been conducted to date.
The Western Cape continued to have the most cases in the country, followed by Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape.
In terms of deaths, the Western Cape still leads, followed by KZN and the Eastern Cape.
Confirmed cases by Province
|Western Cape||1 737|
Meanwhile, 217 Cuban health workers, who included Family Medicine, Infection Prevention Control, Case Management, Regulatory Authority, Epidemiology and Surveillance, Health Technology and Biostatistics, arrived in South Africa on Monday. They are expected to be in the country for a year, at least.
Dr Mkhize said they had been brought in to assist South Africa in its response to the Covid-19 virus.
“We have taken an additional step in line with our lockdown regulations. This team will be put under precautionary quarantine as they await their test results. We will also use this period to fully induct them into the South African situational analysis and the various provinces they will be deployed to,” said the Minister.
Globally, the coronavirus has now infected over 3 million people and claimed 207 000 lives. Recoveries around the world stand at over 880 000.
** If you think you have been exposed to the Covid-19 virus, please call the government’s 24-hour hotline on 0800 029 999 or visit https://sacoronavirus.co.za/for more information.