Glaucoma is an eye disease that damages a person’s eye nerves leading to blindness if not treated. It often happens when fluid (liquid) builds up in the front part of the eye applying or increasing pressure in the eye and damaging the nerves.
The disease, which is said to be the leading cause of blind in the world can be controlled and prevented if treated early.
People at most risk of Glaucoma
Risk factors include family history, adults over 40, or those with diabetes or poor vision. Eye surgery or injury as well as high blood pressure are also risk factors.
Types of Glaucoma & Symptoms
There are four main types of glaucoma namely:
- Chronic open-angle glaucoma: which has no noticeable symptoms because the condition develops slowly. With this type the vision is lost from the outer rim of the eye, working inwards towards the centre.
- Acute angle-closure glaucoma: develops quickly and has severe symptoms. They include:
- Intense pain
- Redness of the eye
- Tender eye area
- Misty vision
- Loss of vision in one or both eyes that progresses quickly
- Secondary Glaucoma: is caused by other conditions, such as eye injuries medication or operations.
- Developmental Glaucoma: is a rare condition which affects babies. Its symptoms include:
- Large eyes due to the pressure in the eyes causing them to expand
- Light sensitivity
- Cloudy eyes
- Watery eyes
- Jerky movements of the eyes
- Having a squint
Treatment may include: Prescription eye drops, Laser surgery or Microsurgery.
SAMWUMED Optical (Eye) Benefits
SAMWUMED encourages its members to go for their eye tests to ensure early detection of eye diseases. Members on both Option A and Option B are covered for eye tests and where necessary eye glasses and or contact lenses – depending on the option they are on.