SAMWUMED members and dependents are covered for radiology as part of their medical aid benefits.
Members and dependents have separate in and out of hospital radiology benefits. Meaning that if admitted to hospital their radiology benefits are not touched.
Radiology are the pictures that are taken of patients’ organs – allowing treating doctors to pinpoint their diseases. These pictures give doctors valuable information about their patient’s diseases and the disease stages. With that information doctors are able to develop effective treatment and management protocols.
Examples of radiology include:
- X- rays – allow doctors to see inside a patient’s body without having to operate
- MRI scans – allow doctors to diagnose a variety of conditions, from torn ligaments or tissue to tumours. MRIs are also useful for examining the brain and spinal cord
- Ultrasound – are commonly used to see a developing foetus (unborn baby), a person’s abdominal and pelvic organs, muscles and tendons, or their heart and blood vessels
- CT scans – allow doctors to see pictures of tumours, infections or blood clots in patients
- Mammography – provide doctors with pictures of patient’s breasts enabling them to see and treat breast cancer
To read more about SAMWUMED’s Radiology benefits, click here