According the Minister of Health, Dr Zweli Mkhize “within the coming days, Gauteng will emerge with the highest COVID-19 numbers.”
This as Gauteng’s total COVID-19 increase to 36 895. The country’s total cases are now 138 134 with 6 334 new cases in 24 hours.
Deaths are now 2 546, with 43 new deaths in the last 24 hours.
Dr Mkhize outlined some of the contributing factors that are pushing Gauteng’s numbers as:
- The return of people back into Gauteng for work
- The opening up of the economy with the implementation of Level 3 lockdown
- The large population, especially in metros like Johannesburg, Ekurhuleni and Tshwane
- Large concentration of people in single spaces such as taxis and mines
- And the level to which people are changing their behaviours and practices. For example, social distancing and the wearing of masks.
The graph below shows Gauteng’s steep upward curve of positive cases. It is the largest increase in the country at present
The Minister has continued to plead with all South Africans to continue to adhere to lockdown regulations and protect themselves against the virus. He emphasised measures such as staying at home where possible, working from home, practicing social distancing, washing hands on a regular basis and wearing masks.
To read more: https://sacoronavirus.co.za
** If you think you have been exposed to the COVID-19, please call the government’s 24-hour hotline on 0800 029 999 or visit https://sacoronavirus.co.za/ for more information.