The President of South Africa Cyril Ramaphosa has declared Corona Virus as a National Disaster.
As a result, several measures have been put in place and they include the following:
- Travel bans has been imposed on the following countries: – Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Germany, the US, the UK and China.
- South African citizens are advised to refrain from all forms of travel to or through the EU, US, UK and other identified high-risk countries such as China, Iran and South Korea. This is effective immediately.
- SA has 72 ports of entry in the country, which are land, sea- and airports. Of the 53 land ports, 35 will be shut down with effect from Monday March 16. Two of the eight seaports will be closed for passengers and crew changes.
- Gatherings of more than 100 people will not be prohibited.
For more information click here.
The Department of Health has identified and designated specific hospitals in all provinces for the treatment of the virus should the cases be reported. They are:
|Province||Name of Hospital|
|Western Cape||– Tygerberg Hospital|
|Gauteng||– Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital|
– Steve Biko Academic Hospital
– Tembisa Hospital
|KwaZulu-Natal||– Grey’s Hospital (Pietermaritzburg)|
|Limpopo||– Polokwane Hospital|
|Mpumalanga||– Rob Ferreira in Mbombela (Nelspruit)|
|Free State||– Pelonomi Academic Hospital (Bloemfontein)|
|North West||– Klerksdorp Hospital|
|Northern Cape||– Kimberley Hospital|
|Eastern Cape||– Livingstone Hospital (Nelson Mandela Bay)|