A Financially Healthy Scheme
- SAMWUMED is a fully-funded, national-accredited and self-administered Medical Aid Scheme with an estimated 33 000 members
- The Scheme covers approximately 75 000 lives throughout South Africa
- SAMWUMED operates within a closed sector namely, local government and associated agencies employees
- It was established in 1952 by the Cape Town Municipal Workers’ Association (CTMWA)
- It is financially healthy with reserves above 70%, exceeding the required statutory threshold of 25%
- The Scheme is one of the most affordable in its category
Other Facts about SAMWUMED
- The Scheme has a national membership
- Its Head Quarters are in Cape Town
- It has a staff compliment of 103
- It has Regional Offices in four big metropolitan areas of Johannesburg, Pretoria, Polokwane and Durban.
- It has a compliment of 36 Sales, Brokers and Consultants
- The Scheme was mentioned as one of the Three Most Sustainable Medical Schemes in South Africa by the Alexander Forbes Sustainability Index Report for 2016 and 2017.
SAMWUMED has Two Benefit Options: – Option A and Option B with an annual limit of R750 000 and R1 500 000 per family per year respectively.
|Is targeted at younger members and younger families who require moderate day-to-day medical care||Is targeted at middle and older members and their families, who need more day-today benefits, chronic illness benefits and at times, hospitalisation|
- Each Option has a total of 16 Benefit Options, the primary difference between the Options being the Premium contribution rate. The Benefits are:
- Alternative Health Care
- Ambulance services
- GP Consultations, Visits and Procedures
- Mental health & Substance Abuse
- Radiology & Radiography
- Remedial Therapy
- Specialist consultations, visits & procedure
SAMWUMED benefits are Comprehensive and compare favourably with those of our competitors. SAMWUMED benefits cover members for both Primary (doctor/specialist consultations) and Secondary (hospitalisation) medical care.
SAMWUMED Premium contributions are some of the lowest when compared to competitors in our sector.
- LA Health
- Removal of State hospitals from the network of Designated Service Providers for all in-hospital procedures
- Increased Overall Annual Limit for hospitalisation to R750 000 per family for Option A, and R1 500 000 per family on Option B
- Overall average inflationary contribution increase of only 7.9%
- No contribution increase for salary bands R0-R5 900 on Option A
- No contribution increase for salary bands R0-R5 400 on Option B
- Premium from as little as R398 per member per month
They have to:
- Access an Application Form from a Broker, Consultant or the SAMWUMED website
- Fill an Application Form manually or electronically via the SAMWUMED website
- Submit the form with a copy of their SA ID through their employer or the SAMWUMED website
- They will receive an SMS or email from SAMWUMED as confirmation that the form has been received
- After successful processing of the application, they will receive a Welcome Pack